I’m enjoying my second week at home before I head back to Barcelona on Saturday. Even though I love Barcelona and love living there, it’s always nice to go home for a while. “There’s no place like home” is a cliché for a reason!
In no particular order, here are some things I’m loving about being home:
- Good food, whether that means going out to eat at my favorite restaurant (El Trigo! Best Mexican food ever) or having home cooked dinners, it’s nice to eat familiar foods.
- English language mindless T.V. House Hunters International is my favorite! I don’t even have a T.V. in Spain, so channel surfing is the best.
- Endless cups of tea. My mum makes the world’s best tea, and I’ve been drinking about 8 cups a day.
- Sunshine! It cooled off in Barcelona pretty quickly, but it’s lovely and sunny here. Well, except when it was 107 for the first two days.
- And on a related note, swimming! There’s nothing better than relaxing in the pool on a beautiful sunny California day.
- My pet cats are always fun to see, because seeing them really isn’t the same over Skype!
- Enjoying my hometown in a different way and appreciating new stuff – like bars!
- Seeing how things have changed. Sometimes this is good. But sometimes it’s not so nice, like when I drove past my old elementary school last week and found out it’d closed down.
- Catching up with family and old friends, though sadly none of my friends live in my hometown any more.
And on a more serious note:
- Understanding everything. I’m a pretty good Spanish speaker, but some days it’s still an uphill battle to communicate correctly.
- Not sticking out for my hair color, skin tone, or accent. The picture of me to the left should explain why I’m baffled that nobody ever mistakes me as Spanish…I’m holding the Estrella cerveza and everything! 🙂
Ooh, and in true California fashion I just felt an earthquake! I’m definitely not in Spain anymore.
Ahh, it’s good to be home! But I’ll be back to Barcelona on Saturday, and I’m sure there’s a discoteca ticket or two waiting for me to help me readjust…